Starting the new year credit card free!

by Karen on December 20, 2008

photo by b.franchina

This morning I sent my final payment to American Express. We’re officially credit card debt free!! In the past year, we’ve paid off almost $5,000 in credit card debt. I’m pretty proud considering how low our income was for a big part of the year. :)

Unfortunately, we still have quite a ways to go before we’re totally debt free — we have a combined total of about $60,000 in student loan debt. :( But we’re a lot better off than we were a year ago. Now I know what works, and I can apply the same principles to our student loan debt.

I’m hoping to have my $20,000 private loan paid off in 2 years. It’s a pretty lofty goal considering it took us a year to pay off less than $5,000 in credit card debt, but we have more income now and we’re getting better at frugal living.

The student loan debt is overwhelming, but I keep reminding myself that I once felt that way about my credit card debt. High balances and high interest rates made it feel impossible to get ahead. But I just kept sending those payments every month, watching the balance slowly decrease until it was manageable.

I’m looking forward to getting those student loans out of my life using the same method.

Previous post:

Next post:

{ 7 trackbacks }

A difficult decision about student loan repayment | Frugal Living Tips & Money Saving Ideas | Living Well on Less
January 24, 2009 at 8:02 am
An update on goals & a progress report | Frugal Living Tips & Money Saving Ideas | Living Well on Less
April 1, 2009 at 9:04 am
Why I’m using credit cards again | Frugal Living Tips & Money Saving Ideas | Living Well on Less
April 21, 2009 at 8:00 am
Celebrating our first (frugal) year of marriage — Living Well on Less
August 20, 2009 at 12:00 pm
Our emergency fund is complete! — Living Well on Less
October 6, 2009 at 8:02 am
My New Year’s resolution for 2010 — focus on the positive
January 1, 2010 at 8:01 am
Buy Be Simply Happy And Debt Free, Credit label debt free | Be Simply Happy And Debt Free Reviews & Toolbox
July 15, 2010 at 12:23 pm

{ 7 comments }

1 Sarah F. December 20, 2008 at 11:01 am

Congrats on getting out of credit card debt! My husband and I are looking forward to the day when we too send in our last payment!

Sarah F.’s last blog post..That time of year again: HOA fees

2 tiffanie December 20, 2008 at 3:28 pm

congrats! that’s one step ahead for you guys. use the same focus and determination on the student loans and you’ll be debt free before you know it!

tiffanie’s last blog post..intriguing guest comment

3 Corrie @ "Cents"able Momma December 20, 2008 at 7:40 pm

Great job on paying off the credit cards! Just remember how good this feels and keep plugging away on the student loan debt. I wanted to get my student loans paid off before I had kids (since I was planning on quitting work), so I paid off $35,000 in about three and a half years.

Corrie @ “Cents”able Momma’s last blog post..My CVS Trip this Week

4 kim December 21, 2008 at 12:49 pm

Congrats on the CC debt payoff! It does feel wonderful once something is paid off, doesn’t it! My husband is in journalism (as you said, in the worst possible time to be in this field – 20+ years now), so we’re hoping that he’ll still have a job next year that will allow us to keep paying off the few that we have left. Keep plugging away!!

5 Dani December 21, 2008 at 9:01 pm

Congrats! We are only one payment away from being credit card debt free as well and it is such a great feeling. Now we can live in the financial current and future instead of the past.

Dani’s last blog post..You Can Call Me Sharon…

6 anne December 22, 2008 at 12:12 pm

congrats! such a great feeling to pay that off!

7 Kacie December 26, 2008 at 11:37 pm

YAY! Bye, credit card!

Kacie’s last blog post..Happy birthday to my baby!

Comments on this entry are closed.