photo by Grant MacDonald
I’m not a J.Lo fan, I promise. But with Valentine’s Day coming up this week, there’s never been a better time to remind ourselves of this simple concept: love and money have absolutely nothing to do with one another.
I have nothing against Valentine’s Day. It’s a wonderful idea. Unfortunately, like most holidays, it’s gotten all wrapped up with money and gifts and extravagance. It’s ironic that the holiday centered on love has become so extravagant when love is is the most frugal idea ever. Love costs nothing. It offers so many wonderful benefits, and they’re all absolutely free.
This Valentine’s Day, I encourage you to celebrate love without spending any money. I’m not talking about spending less money or a little money. Try celebrating the person you love most for free.
Spending money is easy, but we all know the best things in life cost nothing.
- Take an extra moment out of the day to stop what you’re doing, embrace your significant other, and tell him or her exactly how you feel.
- Write a letter letting him know what he means to you and how he changed your life.
- Make a list of all of the things you love most about her.
- Turn off the TV and spend the evening talking about where you’ve come from and where you want to go next.
- Remind yourself of your first days as a couple, and try to remember the time when your partner was just too good to be true. Hopefully, you haven’t forgotten, but if you have, Valentine’s Day is the perfect time to remind yourself.
If you’re planning a money-free Valentine’s Day, leave a comment and share your plans!